KEY SITE RULES
INDIVIDUAL PLOT MAINTENANCE AND COMPLIANCE
Condition of Plot
- Plot must not be overrun with weeds, especially bindweed, Johnson grass, and Bermuda grass. (Rule I.D.1.b)
- Vegetables and/or fruits must be harvested regularly and plants should be removed at the end of their productive life. (Rules I.D.1.a and c)
- Members are expected to garden at all times of the year. Any exceptions must have Board approval. Gardens are not to be left neglected/unattended (unwatered and/or overrun with weeds) for more than two weeks without prior notice and/or arrangements with the Zone Coordinator or Board member. (Rule I.D.2)
Boundaries and Borders
- Gardener must maintain two feet into paths and common area beyond the surrounding border of plot. (Rule I.D.1.d)
- Plot must not encroach on paths identified and laid out as common paths by the board. Paths (other than common paths) between adjacent plots sharing a border shall be arranged by the gardeners of the two plots by mutual consent. (Rule I.E.5) For additional information about non-encroachment on common paths, click here.
Fertilizers, Soil Amendments, Etc.
- Only organic soil amendments, nutrients, and pest controls can be used. When in doubt about a product or method, check with a Zone Coordinator or Board member. (Rule I.E.6)
Trees, Structures, Wood Frames, Etc.
- No trees, large cacti or illegal plants may be planted (Rule I.E.1)
- No permanent structures should be placed on the plot. Temporary structures should not shade a neighbor's plot. (Rule I.E.5)
- The use of chemically treated wood is not allowed. These products contain toxic substances that may leach into the soil. (Rule I.E.8)
Special Rules for New Gardeners (Rule I.C)
- Within first 30 days of membership, new gardeners must:
- Have plot cleared of all plant material other than healthy herbs, perennials or vegetables and prepared for future planting.
- Complete and record their 1st service hour.
- Within 60 days, complete and record their 2nd service hour and
the balance of required service hours by June 30 or December 31
- Time spent clearing plot not cleared by the previous member may be counted as service hours up to one-half of the total service hours required.