Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
8 February 2018
If you are signed up to receive the Weekly Weeder and have not been receiving it, here is a troubleshooting page to help. If this doesn't help, please let Sharon at email@example.com know. Thanks.
Purple Martins are Back!
Did you know Sunshine Gardens hosts one of Austin's largest Purple Martin nesting colonies? With this winter's addition of a 3rd nesting gourdcomplex, Sunshine now provides over 80 nesting houses on site. The first Martins of 2018 (2 adults) were recently spotted overhead by Denise Dailey.
Purple Martins (Progne subis) are members of the swallow family. PUMA's, the abbreviation used by orthinologists, arrive each spring in February and March after a long-distance migration from their wintering grounds in the tropics. After pairing up and nesting (martins are monogamous), the female will lay a clutch of 3-6 eggs, and the pair will raise 1 to 2 broods. Chicks fledge as early as May. Then the adults and young begin to prepare for the long flight back south. Flying overhead at Sunshine, Martins delight us with their distinctive chirps and burbles.
We are lucky to have several volunteers who monitor and maintain our Martin houses. You may see Denise, Sharon, Wendy, Courtney, Estelle or Mark lowering the houses for cleaning or taking egg and/young bird counts. This data goes into the national Purple Martin Society research database. And please thank the individual Martin house owners for their work in providing houses on their plots! By Dana Kuyendall.
- February 10 from 10-5 and Sunday, Feb 11 from 10-4: 47th Annual Heart O' Texas Orchid Society "Spring Fling" at the Zilker Botanical Garden Center, 2220 Barton Springs Road.
- Tuesday, February 13: Join in on the Pancake Day fun at Snooze (3800 North Lamar) while raising money for the upkeep and installation of the rainwater collection system for the Micah-6 garden. Snooze is donating 100% of ALL pancake profits to the garden.
We have been toiling away at transplanting all of the herbs for the spring sale, but still need help writing thousands of labels for the pots. If you would like to help, please contact Jennifer Woertz at firstname.lastname@example.org. She'll coordinate getting you tags and a list of plant names. Please use a pencil to fill out any of the tags, as it doesn't fade in the sun or wash off during watering. Please return the finished labels to the SCG greenhouse by February 18.
Plant Sale: Sign Up to Help & Spread the News
The Plant Sale runs on volunteers! Pick a shift, pick a job, show up ready to help us earn the money we need to keep Sunshine going on SignUp Genius. Remember, volunteers for the plant sale get to shop early, on Friday evening. Please mention the upcoming Plant Sale on Facebook...Twitter...Instagram...all your social media. And pick up some posters and postcards from the trailer to take to your favorite restaurants/coffee shops and nurseries for them to post. You can also download a version.
Should you have any content to add to the Weeder, email your article or suggestion to Kristin Phillips. On normal weeks content should be received by end of day Wednesday.
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Gardens
- President - Nick Sweeney email@example.com
- Vice President - Marilyn Landberg firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary - Polly Porter email@example.com
- Treasurer - Caroline Limaye firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Bill Cason email@example.com
- Director - Lori Dobbin firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Randy Thompson email@example.com
Email the board.
- Zone 1, Martin Morales firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 2, Katy Davis email@example.com
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey email@example.com
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan email@example.com
- Zone 7, Maria and Philip Wiley firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Zone 8, Shannon Posern firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 9, Kerry Howell email@example.com
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder
Karl Arcuri firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Kristin Phillips email@example.com
- Plant Sale - Randy Thompson & Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- TSBVI Liaison & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Assignment - Kay McMurry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Compost Coordinator - Janet Adams email@example.com
- Education Committee - Shannon Posern firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry email@example.com
- Water Leak Repairs - Steve Schulz firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter email@example.com
- Kitchen Supplies - Anita Keese
(If supplies are needed for events, contact by email or at 512-773-2178)
- Compost Tea - Jennifer Woertz firstname.lastname@example.org
- Micah 6 - Dana Kuykendall email@example.com
- Micah 6 - Mary Gifford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert email@example.com
- Spanish language contact - Andriana Prioleau firstname.lastname@example.org
Record Service Hours Online - Green Binder