Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
9 March 2017
If you are signed up to receive the Weekly Weeder and have not been receiving it, here is a troubleshooting page to help. If this doesn't help, please let Sharon at firstname.lastname@example.org know. Thanks.
The plant sale was a success despite the rainy weather with sales very close to last year. Thanks everyone for volunteering, especially Janet and Randy who did an amazing job of organizing the sale.
Plants are now on sale for 1.00 each. Plants are in the greenhouses and you can purchase with the honor system by putting cash or checks in the cash box. Also, complete a receipt for each sale.
Starting Friday (3/10) at 9:00am we will begin giving plants to local non profits. At that time, it's just first come, first serve.They are welcome to take whatever they need. All we ask is that they leave a receipt (we will have forms in the greenhouse to fill out) telling us who they are and how many plants they take.
Carol Limaye won the tiller raffle and donated it to the garden. Thanks Carol!
Thanks from the Boy Scouts & Scott and Celia Morris
On behalf of the Scouts and the Adult Leadership Committee of Boy Scout Troop 28, I want to thank the board for allowing us to participate in Sunshine's Annual Plant Sale on Saturday. The boys took orders for hardwood and cedar mulch under the canopy outside the garden entrance. Despite the rain, it was a successful event for them, and it demonstrates that both scouting and gardening are all-weather pursuits!
Cecilia and I have been Sunshine members for 26 years. As we've become parents of two new gardeners, we've missed most plant sales due to our kids' Saturday extracurricular. (Sports, chess tournaments, and Explore UT are the main culprits.) But I can see from last weekend it's come such a long way. I would like to commend Janet and Randy for a fun, professional, and well-organized community event!
Many volunteers have out-of-pocket costs in buying supplies for the plant sale or for the general maintenance of the garden. Those costs can be reimbursed if you provide the treasurer with a receipt and a brief description of the reason for the cost.
The receipts can be sent to the treasurer by email (email@example.com) or put in the mail slot in the trailer office door. Please also provide your current address on the back of the receipt.
If the reimbursement request is under $100, we will reimburse the sales tax. However, we do have sales tax exemptions on file at Home Depot, Lowes, J&J Pest Control, Office Max, Brite Ideas and McCoy's Lawn and Garden, to name a few. The exemption is in our legal name, Community Garden Initiative of Central Texas, and the identification number is 32037681668.
For purchases over $100 not made at one of the vendors above, please contact the treasurer or talk to another board member about setting up an exempt account.
Starting this year, we need to know all the costs of the plant sale before calculating the donation to TSBVI, so any reimbursement requests should be submitted by March 31, 2017.
Compost Pile Signs
Reminder - Read the signs before dumping your weeds and clippings.
Good article on artichokes.
Free Soil Testing
Should you have any content to add to the Weeder email your articles or suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Gardens
- President - Jeff Monks email@example.com
- Vice President - Jim Willmann firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary - Polly Porter email@example.com
- Treasurer - Caroline Limaye firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Bill Cason email@example.com
- Director - Lori Dobbin firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Randy Thompson email@example.com
Email the board.
- Zone 1, Martin Morales firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 2, Katy Davis email@example.com
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey email@example.com
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan email@example.com
- Zone 7, Maria and Philip Wiley firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Zone 8, Shannon Posern firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 9, Kerry Howell email@example.com
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder
Karl Arcuri firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Polly Porter email@example.com
- Plant Sale - Randy Thompson & Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- TSBVI Liaison & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Assignment - Kay McMurry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Compost Coordinator - Janet Adams email@example.com
- Education Committee - Shannon Posern firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry email@example.com
- Water Leak Repairs - Steve Schulz firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter email@example.com
- Kitchen Supplies - Anita Keese
(If supplies are needed for events, contact by email or at 512-773-2178)
- Compost Tea - Jennifer Woertz firstname.lastname@example.org
- Micah 6 - Dana Kuykendall email@example.com
- Micah 6 - Mary Gifford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert email@example.com
Record Service Hours Online - Green Binder