Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
11 March 2015
Thanks to everyone who helped with our successful and fun plant sale. It was enjoyed by all. Plants are still available for purchase until Friday evening 3/13 for $1/each. There is a cash box in the greenhouse for any purchases.
Sale receipts are still coming in so we don't know the bottom line.
Hot off the press is a book written by Trisha Shirey, "The Timber Press Guide to Vegetable Gardening in the Southwest." This book give a vast amount of accurate, valuable, and common sense gardening advice.
I bought a copy for use by Sunshine Gardeners autographed by Trisha, a former gardener and president of Sunshine. I will put it in the office for everyone to look at (so please don't take it for a walk).
How do Sunshine Gardeners know what is going on in the gardens and how do they receive Communications from the "Garden"? There are three main ways to receive information about what is going on:
- Weekly, usually on Wednesdays, gardeners and other friends of Sunshine receive, via email, Sunshine's weekly newsletter, the Weekly Weeder. Margaret Powis is the editor in chief.
- Your zone coordinators provide you with updates, reminders, and "breaking news" via email.
- Another great source of information is our web site - Sharon Rempert is our web master. If you have any garden questions, please check our website. Also, currently posted is a great video by Berk Bettis capturing the opening minutes of the plant sale.
What to plant in March
As the temperatures are still a little below normal, it is safe to plant the shorter season cooler season plants for a while. It is still too cool for summer crops, keep your tomatoes, peppers and eggplant in a sheltered spot and don't transplant out until the soil warms up.
All Month: Lettuce, Mustard, Radish.
Early to Mid Month: Beets, Collards, Turnips.
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Garden
- President - Ila Falvey email@example.com
- Vice-President - Janet Adams firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary - Ginny Heilman email@example.com
- Treasurer - Jack Reynolds firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Michael Hall email@example.com
- Director - Kay McMurry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - vacant
- Zone 1, Jody Trendler email@example.com
- Zone 2, Katy Davis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov email@example.com
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford email@example.com
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 7, Jing Li email@example.com
- Zone 8, Irina Kaducova firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 9, Cheryl Hazeltine email@example.com
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Margaret Powis email@example.com
- Plant Sale - Michael Hall firstname.lastname@example.org
- TSBVI Liason & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Rental - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Water Leak Repairs - Stewart Nichols email@example.com
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert email@example.com
Record Service Hours Online - the Virtual Green Binder