Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
May Workday - Saturday, May 11
Come and help us put the community back into Sunshine Community Garden by participating in our May workday event.
It's My Garden Day
Saturday, May 11
10 am til noon
Meet at the office trailer
Breakfast snacks are welcome.
Coordinators: Felicia Kongable and Emily Tisinger
If you have any seeds or plants to share with your gardening neighbors, please bring them to the workday.
See you in the garden!
All Gardeners Meeting and Officer Elections
Saturday, May 18 at 10am
Location: the Garden Trailer
This is the annual All Gardeners Meeting in May when we elect new board members.
Elections will be held for the following positions:
Also, a vacancy on the Nominating Committee needs to be filled.
If you, or some you know, would like to be candidate for any of these positions, please contact Scott Morris (email@example.com) or Marge Trachtenberg (firstname.lastname@example.org) who are on the Nominating Committee.
Why Mulch Your Garden Plants?
Despite the spells of cooler days this spring, the hot and mostly dry days of summer will soon be here.
So why should you mulch your garden?
- prevents soil compaction and erosion
- discourages the growth of weeds
- reduces some types of disease problems
- insulates the soil keeping it warmer in cold weather and cooler during the heat of summer
- decreases the amount of watering needed by keeping the soil from drying out as quickly
Organic mulch materials include:
- partially decomposed compost
- corrugated cardboard
- lawn clippings, untreated and dried
- leaves (there are plenty of leaves in the compost area)
- leaf mold - ground, partially decomposed leaves
- pine needles
- saw dust
- straw (not hay, which can contain weed seeds)
- wood chips
Vegetables to Plant in Early May
- Snap Beans and Lima Beans
- Black-eyed Peas
- Pepper Plants
- New Zealand Spinach
- Summer Squash
- Sweet Potatoes
Herbs to Plant in May
- Lemon Grass
- Lemon Verbena
- Mexican Mint Marigold
Calendar of Events
- Workday - Saturday, May 11, 10am to 12 noon
- Board Meeting - Tuesday, May 14 at 6:00pm
- All Gardeners Meeting and Elections - Saturday, May 18 - 10am at the garden trailer
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Gardens
- President - Nick Sweeney email@example.com
- Vice President - Marilyn Landberg firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary - Polly Porter email@example.com
- Treasurer - Caroline Limaye firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Bill Cason email@example.com
- Director - Lori Dobbin firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Randy Thompson email@example.com
Email the board.
- Zone 1, Martin Morales firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 2, Katy Davis email@example.com
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey email@example.com
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan email@example.com
- Zone 7, Maria and Philip Wiley firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Zone 8, Shannon Posern firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 9, Kerry Howell email@example.com
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder
Karl Arcuri firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Kristin Phillips email@example.com
- Plant Sale - Randy Thompson & Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- TSBVI Liaison & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Assignment - Kay McMurry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Compost Coordinator - Janet Adams email@example.com
- Education Committee - Shannon Posern firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry email@example.com
- Water Leak Repairs - Steve Schulz firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter email@example.com
- Kitchen Supplies - Anita Keese
(If supplies are needed for events, contact by email or at 512-773-2178)
- Compost Tea - Jennifer Woertz firstname.lastname@example.org
- Micah 6 - Dana Kuykendall email@example.com
- Micah 6 - Mary Gifford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert email@example.com
Record Service Hours Online - the Virtual Green Binder
To unsubscribe send a message to: firstname.lastname@example.org