Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
8 June 2017
If you are signed up to receive the Weekly Weeder and have not been receiving it, here is a troubleshooting page to help. If this doesn't help, please let Sharon at email@example.com know. Thanks.
Deadline for Spring Season Service Hours 6/30
The deadline for completing spring season service hours is June 30. Gardeners are billed for unworked hours: $50/hr. for TSBVI hour(s), $30 for first two regular hours and $10 for other regular hours. Gardeners should check the Green Binder on the Sunshine Gardens website for both their required hours and the number of hours worked. A listing of which tasks count for regular and TSBVI service hours can be found in the service hour guide on website. Several all-garden workdays have been scheduled to assist gardeners in completing their needed hours. Some zone coordinators may also be scheduling special projects for their zone.
All-Garden Workdays in June
- Saturday, 6/10 8:30-10:30 Leader: Shannon Posern (Zone 8 Coordinator)
- Saturday, 6/17 8:30-10:30 Leader: Mary Gifford (Zone 5 Coordinator)
- Sunday, 6/25 Time TBD Leader: Chris Schroder (Zone 10 Co-coordinator)
SCG 7th Annual Tomato Tasting
Sunday June 11th, 10:00 - 12:00 noon
It's never to early to eat tomatoes!
Sunshine Community Gardens, 4814 Sunshine Drive
Our 7th Annual Tomato Tasting event will be held on Sunday, June 11, from 10-12 . Please come and taste what's ripe. We will have paper bags in the trailer so you can drop off tomatoes starting on Friday, June 9, or bring 'em on Sunday, June 11. Please label the bag with the variety and your name (optional). If you grew potatoes and this year and would like to show them off, please bring them to the tasting on Sunday. We will have a form you can fill out with the details of how you grew them.
If possible, please let us know ahead of time what varieties you're bringing to the tomato tasting so we can have the sheets ready to go. Also, we need people to help set up the event and slice tomatoes. If you can help with setup, please show up around 9:30 and bring a cutting board and knife.
Gail Reese will be conducting the potato show-and-tell, which was a big hit other years. If you are participating, forms are available in the trailer on the table. This is to provide how you grew your potatoes, timing, harvest info, etc.
SCG Driveway Rules
- Please observe the speed limit of 3 MPH.
- Cars may not be left idling while at the garden.
Site rules can be found on the SCG Website.
Volunteers Needed - Porch Repairs
We are looking are volunteers with construction experience to assist with repairs to the trailer porch. If you are interested please contact Jeff Monks at firstname.lastname@example.org
What to do in your garden in June
Vegetables: Black eyed Peas, Okra, Pumpkin, New Zealand Spinach, Malabar Spinach, Winter Squash.
Fruits: Cantaloupe, Honeydew, Watermelon.
Herbs: Anise, Basil, Bay, Catnip, Cumin, Germander, Horehound, Lamb's Ear, Lavender, Oregano, Perilla, Rosemary, Sage, Summer Savory, Winter Savory, Sorrel, Southernwood, Tansy, Tarragon, Thyme.
Annuals: Castor Bean, Celosia, Coleus, Cypress Vine, Four O'clocks, Gomphrena, Gourds, Hyacinth Bean Vine, Impatiens, Marigold, Moonflower Vine, Morning Glory Vine, Periwinkle, Sunflower, Tithonia, Zinnia.
Vegetables: Black eyed Peas, Okra, Pumpkin, Malabar Spinach, New Zealand Spinach, Peppers, Sweet Potatoes, Winter Squash.
Fruits: Cantaloupe, Honeydew, Watermelon.
Herbs: Artemesias (Mugwort, Southernwood, Wormwood), Basil, Bay Laurel, Beebalm, Catnip, Catmint, Echinacea, Epazote, Lamb's Ear, Lavender, Lemon Balm, Lemon Verbena, Mexican Mint Marigold, Mints, Oregano, Pennyroyal, Rosemary, Sage, Winter Savory, Tansy, Thyme, Yarrow.
Annuals: Ageratum, Amaranthus (Joseph's Coat), Balsam, Begonia, Blue Daze, Celosia, Coleus, Copper Plant, Dusty Miller, Gazania, Geranium, Gomphrena, Impatiens, Marigold, Mexican Heather, Nierembergia, Penta, Periwinkle, Portulaca, Purslane, Torenia, Zinnia.
Perennials: Black-Eyed Susan, Butterfly Weed, Copper Canyon Daisy, Cupheas, Coreopsis, Shasta Daisy, Ox-Eye Daisy, Four-Nerve Daisy, Daylily, Echinacea/Coneflower, Eupatoriums (including Gregg's Mistflower), Frog Fruit, Gayfeather, Goldenrod, Horse Herb, Kniphofia, Lamb's Ears, Lantana, Plumbago, Ruellias, Salvias, Sedum.
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Gardens
- President - Nick Sweeney email@example.com
- Vice President - Marilyn Landberg firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary - Polly Porter email@example.com
- Treasurer - Caroline Limaye firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Bill Cason email@example.com
- Director - Lori Dobbin firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Randy Thompson email@example.com
Email the board.
- Zone 1, Martin Morales firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 2, Katy Davis email@example.com
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey email@example.com
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan email@example.com
- Zone 7, Maria and Philip Wiley firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Zone 8, Shannon Posern firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 9, Kerry Howell email@example.com
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder
Karl Arcuri firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Polly Porter email@example.com
- Plant Sale - Randy Thompson & Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- TSBVI Liaison & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Assignment - Kay McMurry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Compost Coordinator - Janet Adams email@example.com
- Education Committee - Shannon Posern firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry email@example.com
- Water Leak Repairs - Steve Schulz firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter email@example.com
- Kitchen Supplies - Anita Keese
(If supplies are needed for events, contact by email or at 512-773-2178)
- Compost Tea - Jennifer Woertz firstname.lastname@example.org
- Micah 6 - Dana Kuykendall email@example.com
- Micah 6 - Mary Gifford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert email@example.com
Record Service Hours Online - Green Binder