Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
26 June 2013
Micah 6 needs volunteers to harvest
We are producing many vegetables now, and could use help with harvesting.
Volunteers pick each Thursday and Saturday morning.
We also need a harvester/deliverer to the Micah 6 food pantry on Thursday afternoons. This is a once a month commitment of approximately 2 hours
If interested, or for more information, please contact Linda Francescone at email@example.com or 207-756-0329.
Thanks to all those gardeners who participated in the Potluck Breakfast and Workday on June 22. Even though it was hot, we managed to accomplish our goals. As always there is plenty of work to be done. The food was yummy and the music was great.
Your workday coordinators, Irina & Emily
Tasks of the Week
Remove the Johnson Grass coming through the north fence line (49th street) and mow and weed in the compost area.
- Organic gardens do not use treated seed, please be suspicious of colored seeds.
Do you have a hard time finishing your service hours?
Would you like company as you work? Join the Flower/Shade Garden Team! We work throughout the year to keep the garden around the office looking good. It's a great way to get your hours and learn about summer hardy plants at the same time. :)
If you're interested, contact Sandra Ries at firstname.lastname@example.org or 512-743-3628.
We want to know
Please share your tomato, eggplant and pepper successes and failures at email@example.com. This helps us decide which plants to include in the annual plant sale.
Mulch is a layer of plant material covering the soil surface around plants. This covering benefits plants in a number of ways:
- Moderates soil temperature, thus promoting greater root development.
- Conserves moisture by reducing evaporation of water vapor from the soil surface.
- Prevents compaction by reducing soil crusting during natural rainfall or irrigation.
- Reduces disease problems.
- Keeps fruit or vegetables clean while reducing rot disease by preventing soil-fruit contact.
- Reduces weed problems by 90 percent or more.
Upcoming class at the Natural Gardener
June 29, 9 am. The Natural Gardener, presents "Organic Pest Control 101."
Vegetables to Plant in June
- Malabar Spinach
- Southern Pea
- Sweet Potato
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Garden
- President - Ila Falvey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice-President - Janet Adams email@example.com
- Secretary - Berk Bettis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer - Jack Reynolds email@example.com
- Director - Michael Hall firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Director - Emily Tisinger firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 1, Jody Trendler email@example.com
- Zone 2, Katy Davis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov email@example.com
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford email@example.com
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 7, TBA
- Zone 8, Irina Kaducova email@example.com
- Zone 9, Cheryl Hazeltine firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 10, Emily Tisinger email@example.com
- Plant Sale - Michael Hall firstname.lastname@example.org
- TSBVI Liason & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Rental - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Water Leak Repairs - Stewart Nichols email@example.com
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert email@example.com
Record Service Hours Online - the Virtual Green Binder