Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
10 September 2014
Wanted mentors for new gardeners
If you're interested in mentoring new gardeners (or anyone for that matter) please indicate your willingness by emailing Kay McMurray at email@example.com
TSBVI Fall Plant Sale
Wednesday October 15th - Saturday October 18th
We will be selling cool weather vegetables and flowers including: broccoli, kale, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, pansies, and violas. We will have more kale this year and it looks as if we'll be getting artichokes as well.
More information to come.
Opportunities for TSBVI Volunteer Hours
Wednesday September 17th, 3,000 seedlings will be delivered!
They will need to be transplanted immediately.
Tuesday 16th September 12:30-3:00pm About half of the pots have already been filled, but we will need some more hands to get the last of it done. Come fill pots and do some cleaning.
When the plants are delivered as many hands as possible will be needed to transplant all those plants. I greatly appreciate your ability to be on call for when the seedlings are delivered.
More TSBVI News
Do you want to spread your knowledge to TSBVI students? If you would be interested in talking to a class about the chickens, bees, or maybe something else get in contact with Nicole, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
T-Shirt design contest for Sunshine Community Garden
T-shirt design guidelines:
- One color design
- Must include "Sunshine Community Garden"
- Nothing offensive
- Design to be on front of shirt
Designs need to be submitted by October 31, 2014 at midnight.
Please submit via email or in person to any Board member.
Designs will be voted on for the following five days, online, until November 5 at midnight.
If possible we will also have them available to view at the garden for your consideration.
Any questions? Contact a Board member. Contact information on the website and also in each Weeder.
T-shirts, ideally, will be ready for purchase on December 6 for our Holiday meeting/potluck/party.
Events of Interest to Gardeners
Food is Free Project
11 September 2014, Spiderhouse Ballroom, 2906 Fruth St. Austin, 8:00 pm
Suggested donation $10.00
Support growing your own. Seedlings and seedbombs will be available.
- 9pm - Kabomba
- 10pm - MODAL
- 11pm - 365colours
- 12am - Kittens Cobain *ALBUM RELEASE*
- 12:45am - *SPECIAL GUEST*
- 1:15am - Ddotelles
Funds raised will go towards building a geodesic aquaponics greenhouse, which will be used to teach about growing fish and vegetables in a closed loop system.
Can't make it but want to help? Donations are gratefully accepted and are tax deductible as Food is Free is a 501c3 nonprofit.
Rebates for Compost, Mulch and Aerating:
Great news! The City of Austin is offering rebates for things we should all be doing in our yards - mulching plants & trees, and aerating & topdressing our lawns. If you do all three things (according to their rules, of course) you can get as much as $180 back! Buy what you need, and be sure to keep your receipts. For rules and more details, visit the City of Austin's website.
A site with a multitude of links of interest to gardeners in Central Texas: http://gardeninglaunchpad.com/Aus.html
Vegetables to plant in September
Early to Mid month: Chinese Long Beans, Beans and Summer squash
Mid to late month: Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Chinese Cabbage, Collards, Garlic, Kohlrabi, Peas (English and edible pod)
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Garden
- President - Ila Falvey email@example.com
- Vice-President - Janet Adams firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary - Ginny Heilman email@example.com
- Treasurer - Jack Reynolds firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Michael Hall email@example.com
- Director - Kay McMurry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Linda Francescone email@example.com
- Zone 1, Jody Trendler firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 2, Katy Davis email@example.com
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey email@example.com
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan email@example.com
- Zone 7, Jing Li firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 8, Irina Kaducova email@example.com
- Zone 9, Cheryl Hazeltine firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder email@example.com
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Margaret Powis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plant Sale - Michael Hall email@example.com
- TSBVI Liason & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Rental - Kay McMurry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry email@example.com
- Water Leak Repairs - Stewart Nichols firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter email@example.com
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert firstname.lastname@example.org
Record Service Hours Online - the Virtual Green Binder