Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
29 September 2016
If you are signed up to receive the Weekly Weeder and have not been receiving it, here is a troubleshooting page to help. If this doesn't help, please let Sharon at email@example.com know. Thanks.
Ken Early Donation Fund
Sunshine Community Gardens has established a fund for donations in Ken's honor to Mobile Loaves and Fishes. SCG will donate $100 and other gardeners may add to the donation by dropping checks in the office door slot or by mailing their checks to Sunshine Community Gardens, P.O. Box 302349, Austin, TX 78703-0040. Please make your check out to Sunshine Community Gardens.
All checks must be received by Friday, September 30, 2016.
Recycling Volunteer Opportunity
Another opportunity for one of you!! Recycling!! The garden needs a reliable person willing to gather and then recycle plastic, paper and cans from around the site. Many non-members come to Sunshine to eat lunch and they often leave trash and recyclable items. It is usually manageable by a member taking that stuff home and adding it to the city recycling bin. At other times, there is more than that, especially after an event at the garden. That means trips to the city facility in south Austin.
If you are willing to take this ongoing job at the garden, please contact Janet Adams - firstname.lastname@example.org. She will show you what to do and how to do it.
The Fall Plant Sale was a HUGE Success!
Thanks to everyone who helped with the Fall Plant Sale! We had an excellent turn out, grossing just over $5,000! We are figuring out the final expenses, but expect to be able to donate a sizable amount to the horticulture program at TSBVI. The remaining plants will be donated to the Micah 6 garden as well as area schools and non-profits. Happy Fall Gardening!!
Sunshine Compost for Sunshine Gardeners
A big pile of our Sunshine-made compost is available. It is marked ready to harvest. Please remember to put the trash in the buckets available and you can even empty them when full! If sifting, place the organic pieces left behind in another pile, either the compost not ready yet or the big pile where we put our old plants. If you have any questions about the compost, please ask Janet Adams - email@example.com.
Black Plastic for Common Paths
The supply of 4' x 20' black plastic strips for putting on common paths and pathways between adjacent gardens has been replenished. The supply is in the tool shed under the window on the right as you enter. It is recommended that Bermuda grass and weeds be at least partially cleared before putting down the plastic and wood chips. It also helps to put a layer of cardboard under the plastic.
What to do in your garden in October
Vegetable seeds: beets, carrot, mustard, onion, garden pea, radishes, spinach, turnip. Early October: chinese cabbage, collards, garlic, lettuce.
Vegetable plants: chinese cabbage, collards (and other greens), lettuce, spinach, turnip, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower. Chinese greens, lettuce, and spinach can be planted throughout the fall, if they are given frost protection.
Herb plants: all perennial herb plants; also cilantro, dill, fennel, parsley.
Herb seeds: borage, caraway, chamomile, chervil, chives, cilantro, dill, fennel, parsley, summer savory.
Annual flower/ornamental seeds & plants: sweet alyssum, calendula, centaurea, coreopsis, johnny jump-up, larkspur, nasturtium, pansy, poppy, snapdragon, sweet pea.
Should you have any content to add to the Weeder email your articles or suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Garden
- President - Jeff Monks email@example.com
- Vice President - Jim Willmann firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary - Shannon Posern email@example.com
- Treasurer - Caroline Limaye firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Bill Cason email@example.com
- Director - Lori Dobbin firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Randy Thompson email@example.com
- Zone 1, Martin Morales firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 2, Katy Davis email@example.com
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey email@example.com
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan email@example.com
- Zone 7, vacant
- Zone 8, Irina Kadukova firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 9, Kerry Howell email@example.com
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Polly Porter email@example.com
- Plant Sale - Michael Hall firstname.lastname@example.org
- TSBVI Liason & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams email@example.com
- Plot Rental - Kay McMurry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Compost Coordinator - Janet Adams email@example.com
- Compost Tea - Jennifer Woertz firstname.lastname@example.org
- Education Committee - Shannon Posern email@example.com
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Water Leak Repairs - Steve Schulz email@example.com
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Micah 6 Coordinator - Dana Kuykendall email@example.com
- Micah 6 Coordinator - Mary Gifford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert email@example.com
Record Service Hours Online - Green Binder