Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
8 October 2014
TSBVI Fall Plant Sale
From Wednesday, October 15th thru Saturday the 18th the nursery will be selling:
- Cool weather vegetables and flowers in four inch pots:
Broccoli - Marathon Brussels Sprouts - Jade Cross Broccoli - Packman Kale - Red Russian Cabbage - Emerald Cross Kale- Vates Dwarf Blue Cabbage - Ruby Perfection Artichoke - Green Globe Cauliflower - Snowball Pansies Cauliflower - Veronica/Romanesco Viola - Penny Lane
- An assortment of four inch succulents including: Ghost Plant, Echeverias, Panda Plant, and Paddle Plant
- Hearty plants and house pants in various sizes: Aloe, Pothos ivy, Agave, Purple Heart, Spider Plant/Hen-and-Chickens
Prices are based off of pot size. All four inch pots are $2 each.
Wednesday, October 15th 11am-6pm
Thursday, October 16th 11 am to 4 pm
Friday, October 17th 11 am to 6 pm
Saturday, October 18th 9 am to 4 pm
Where: TSBVI Greenhouse - park at Sunshine Community Garden, at 4814 Sunshine Dr. Walk toward the back of the garden and go through the gate to get to the greenhouse.
The Fall Plant Sale is a fundraiser for the Horticulture work training program of Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired.
For more information contact Nicole at 512-206-9369 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Micah 6 Food Pantry
Micah 6 Deliveries are now Saturdays only since we are between seasons. If you have any vegetables to donate, they should be placed in the fridge in the trailer by 8:30 am on Saturday.
Thanks everyone for your donations, they are truly appreciated!
Saturday 11 October 2014, 8:00 am
They are rising again. They tend to go deeper in the ground during the summer to avoid the heat. There is "Come and Get it" bait in the tool shed. Please read the instructions for application. Place the bait around the mound not on it. Use a moderate amount (follow instructions) and return to shed after use. This bait is approved for organic vegetable gardens.
TSBVI Garden needs Volunteers
Get your TSBVI volunteer hour in by weeding the area between the beds.
More TSBVI News
Do you want to spread your knowledge to TSBVI students? If you would be interested in talking to a class about the chickens, bees, or maybe something else get in contact with Nicole, at email@example.com.
T-Shirt design contest for Sunshine Community Garden
T-shirt design guidelines:
- One color design
- Must include "Sunshine Community Garden"
- Nothing offensive
- Design to be on front of shirt
Designs need to be submitted by October 31, 2014 at midnight.
Please submit via email or in person to any Board member.
Designs will be voted on for the following five days, online, until November 5 at midnight.
If possible we will also have them available to view at the garden for your consideration.
Any questions? Contact a Board member. Contact information on the website and also in each Weeder.
T-shirts, ideally, will be ready for purchase on December 6 for our Holiday meeting/potluck/party.
Events of Interest to Gardeners
Saturday, October 18, 2014 at 10:00 am.
A talk by Michael Warriner of Texas Parks and Wildlife about "Bumblebees of Texas"
Although bumblebees are one of the most recognizable and well-liked of all insects we encounter in our yards, we probably don't know a lot about these flying balls of fur. What value do they have in our garden and ecosystem? How can we make our gardens attractive to these pollinators? For more information check out the Natural Gardener website.
A site with a multitude of links of interest to gardeners in Central Texas: http://gardeninglaunchpad.com/Aus.html
Vegetables to plant in October
Early to Mid Month: - Arugula, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Chinese Cabbage, Kohlrabi.
All Month: - Beets, Chard, Collards, Garlic, Kale, Mustard, Multiplier Onion, Radish, and strawberries
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Garden
- President - Ila Falvey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice-President - Janet Adams email@example.com
- Secretary - Ginny Heilman firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer - Jack Reynolds email@example.com
- Director - Michael Hall firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Director - Linda Francescone firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 1, Jody Trendler email@example.com
- Zone 2, Katy Davis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov email@example.com
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford email@example.com
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 7, Jing Li email@example.com
- Zone 8, Irina Kaducova firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 9, Cheryl Hazeltine email@example.com
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Margaret Powis email@example.com
- Plant Sale - Michael Hall firstname.lastname@example.org
- TSBVI Liason & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Rental - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Water Leak Repairs - Stewart Nichols email@example.com
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert email@example.com
Record Service Hours Online - the Virtual Green Binder