Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
14 October 2015
Mark your calendar - Sunshine Workday - Saturday, October 24
An organized all-garden workday will be held Saturday, October 24 from 8:00-12:00. There will several projects including one to earn your TSBVI service hour. This will be a good way to earn fall service hours, meet fellow gardeners and help on projects that will enhance Sunshine Gardens. So mark your calendar for Saturday, October 24.
MICAH 6 Food Pantry News:
For any of you who are new to the garden, Sunshine Community Garden has been contributing vegetables to the Micah 6 Food Pantry since 2003. The Micah 6 Food Pantry is a coalition of eleven University of Texas area churches. This coalition was formed when the representatives from the churches met and decided to join their resources and volunteer bases to support this effort. This food pantry is one of the largest distributors of food from the Capital Area Food Bank. The pantry is open two days a week. Sunshine Community Garden is its largest contributor of fresh organic produce.
Our contributions come from a garden area in front of the trailer and beside the hoop house and is gardened by a team of volunteers. In addition, gardeners throughout SCG are encouraged to contribute from their own gardens by putting their contributions on the table in the "cool room" or in the refrigerator in the main room in the trailer. Gardeners can have their vegetables harvested for donations when out of town or unable to tend their gardens by registering their plots on the white board in the cool room. Volunteers will harvest as requested by the gardener.
Volunteers are needed to assist with all aspects of the project - gardening, harvesting, preparing vegetables for delivery, and delivering. Service hours are awarded toward the requirements for plot use. We are now delivering once a week on Saturday morning by 9:30 AM. If you are in the garden between 8:00 and 9:00 AM on a Saturday, come by and help with the harvesting. As our production increases, we will deliver on Thursday afternoons. Hours of delivery are between 3:00 and 3:30. Besides the benefits to others, it's rewarding and fun and offers an opportunity to work with and get to know other gardeners!
Happenings Around Austin
Gardeners will have no reason to be bored this weekend. Here are some of the gardening events going on.
The Natural Gardener
Customer Appreciation Party Saturday, October 17, 2015
7PM - 10PM
That's right, a party for you and your friends! We are closing the store and nursery at our normal closing time (spoiler alert: there will be NO access to our display gardens or animals during the party) and inviting y'all to an old fashioned outdoors country dance next to our Revival Tent! With:
- PRIZES: We're giving away 10 - $100 Natural Gardener gift cards! Come see us before the party, we're giving out one ticket for the drawing with every purchase through our normal closing time on Saturday. No limit, so the more you shop, the more chances you have to win! Must be present at the party to win.
- GREAT FOOD, SNACKS AND FREE BEER: Sundance BBQ will be available for purchase, and we're providing free light snacks and drinks (libations will be provided by our neighbors, Thirsty Planet, while supply lasts).
- KIDS ACTIVITES: We will have face painting and other fun kids activities. (Please note that there will be NO access to our animals during the party).
- LIVE MUSIC: Dance to two great live bands: Elsa Cross at 7pm and Al Dressen's Super Swing Review at 8pm. John says bring your boots!
Native Plant Society of Texas
will hold its 2015 annual symposium on October 15-18 at the Airport Hilton in Austin Texas.
The symposium will concentrate on the four ecoregions that surround the Texas state capitol - Post Oak Savannah, Blackland Prairies, Edwards Plateau and Cross Timbers, and show how these ecoregions have influenced adaptation and variance in plants and plant communities, as well as human interaction with the landscape.
For more information go to http://npsot.org/wp/symposium2015/
For Gardeners. By Gardeners.
The Travis County Master Gardeners Association has set Saturday, October 17, 2015 for their popular Inside Austin Gardens Tour (IAGT). The tour provides a rare look inside six private gardens and one public experimental garden that demonstrate realistic, sustainable gardening practices for Central Texas.
For more information go to: http://www.insideaustingardens.org/
Saturday, October 17
9:00 AM- 5:00 PM
Austin Garden conservancy tour. For more information go to https://www.gardenconservancy.org/events/all-events/austin-open-day
What to plant in October
Mid-late month: Carrot, Endive, Lettuce, Spinach, Turnip, Beets, Chard, Collards, Garlic, Kale, Mustard, Multiplier Onions, Radish.
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Garden
- President - Jeff Monks firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice President - Jim Willmann email@example.com
- Secretary - Shannon Posern firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer - Caroline Limaye email@example.com
- Director - Michael Hall firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Director - Vacant
- Zone 1, Jody Trendler firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 2, Katy Davis email@example.com
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey email@example.com
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan email@example.com
- Zone 7, Jing Li firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 8, Irina Kadukova email@example.com
- Zone 9, Cheryl Hazeltine firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder email@example.com
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Margaret Powis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plant Sale - Michael Hall email@example.com
- TSBVI Liason & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Rental - Kay McMurry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Compost Coordinator - Janet Adams email@example.com
- Compost Tea - Jennifer Woertz firstname.lastname@example.org
- Education Committee - Shannon Posern email@example.com
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Water Leak Repairs - Stewart Nichols email@example.com
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert email@example.com
Record Service Hours Online - the Virtual Green Binder