Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
23 October 2013
Stewart has informed me that 8 rabbits have been trapped in three weeks. Also trapped and released were one cat, several raccoons, several squirrels, and an opossum.
Gardeners have reported seeing rabbits going under the tool shed. In an attempt to enhance the effectiveness of trapping, it has been decided to attach wire around the tool shed base and then set up traps at the openings. Thanks to Jay, Jeff Schultz, and Vic who volunteered to help. Any other volunteers? The time frame will be in a week or two. Contact Ila if you are willing to help.
Enhancing our compost operations:
East Side Compost Pedallers (ESCP) will be delivering several hundred pounds of green material to our compost piles on a weekly basis. Thank you ESCP.
Is anyone interested in working on obtaining more material for our compost piles or forming a compost committee? Contact Ila.
Gardeners Thinning Perennials? - Consider Donating Extras to the Spring Plant Sale
Fall is a good time for dividing perennials and many other plants. Consider 'passing-along' your extras to Sunshine Community Gardens for the Spring Sale and Fundraiser. Bring your 'pass-alongs' to the hoop house that's white with green trim. If you'd prefer to pot up your offerings at Sunshine, we'll soon have pots and potting soil available.
If you have tropicals that you'd like to donate it may be a bit tricky to successfully overwinter them at Sunshine (when and if we have a freeze this winter) so consider potting them up now but bringing them in a little closer to the sale.
I've gotten many treasures over the years from the pass along table.
While Sunshine usually welcomes contributions to its compost pile, there is a concern that the florist's debris that is being delivered to our compost heap might contain pesticides. Does anyone know its source and who is delivering it?
Please let Janet know - email@example.com
Micah 6 Donations
Micah 6 gladly accepts donations of food from gardeners.
Micah 6 supplies several food pantries with fresh vegetables for those who need help. If you have any extra vegetables you would like to contribute, please leave them in the trailer refrigerator (if perishable). Non-perishables can be left on the table in the office on the right as you enter the trailer.
Homemade Fire Ant Destroyer
This recipe comes from Howard Garret via our own Sunshine gardener, Cheryl Hazeltine.
1 Gallon Water
1 TBS Blackstrap Molasses
6 TBS Orange Oil
A dash of dishwashing detergent
Mix well and pour over mound in the morning or evening when the ants are active.
Hybrid Watering System
Jay Carpenter has constructed a garden that uses 20%-30% less water than a traditional raised bed. It is also extremely productive. If you would like to see it and have an explanation of how it works, (it's just off Shoal Creek Boulevard near 45th Street), contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks for Volunteering
Mary Gifford has volunteered to chair the committee that is being formed for the revision of the site rules and bylaws. Members of the committee to date are the following: Cheryl Hazeltine, Gail Reese, Kay McMurry, Phil Wiley. Nancy Seibert, and Kathleen Cobb. If anyone else would like to participate in the process, please contact Mary Gifford and let her know. Mary Gifford - email@example.com
Water and Rabbit Problems
Contact Stewart Nichols if:
- You see any leaks in the garden irrigation system contact Stewart at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have suffered a rabbit attack on your garden, Stewart's email is email@example.com.
Volunteer opportunity for regular service hours
We are creating 3 quarter plots in one of the common areas on the north side of the garden. The area has been scraped, but needs some finishing work before the plots can be rented. Please come join me Saturday morning 26th Oct from 10 AM-noon to create mulched paths and remove the bermuda in the plot. The soil has been turned and the loose bits of bermuda grass need to be removed. We also have some vacant and extremely weedy plots that need to be cleared prior to giving out to the next gardeners on the list.
Fall Transplants Available
$1.00 a plant. To place an order call 512.961.7117 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lettuce (Simpson, Romaine, Buttercrunch)
- Swiss Chard
- Broccoli (Waltham, Rapini)
- Brussel Sprouts
- Cabbage (Red, Green)
What to do in October:
Late Month: Carrot, Endive, Lettuce, Spinach, Turnip
All Month: Beets, Chard, Collards, Garlic, Kale, Mustard, Radish.
Thought for the week
... French market gardeners were carefully keeping foes apart and growing compatible crops together - much like Chinese farmers. Cabbages, celery, cauliflowers, and lettuces were interplanted in the open, as were endives, onions, spinach, strawberries and turnips.
Bob Flowerdew, 2010
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Garden
- President - Ila Falvey email@example.com
- Vice-President - Janet Adams firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary - Berk Bettis email@example.com
- Treasurer - Jack Reynolds firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Michael Hall email@example.com
- Director - Kay McMurry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Emily Tisinger email@example.com
- Zone 1, Jody Trendler firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 2, Katy Davis email@example.com
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey email@example.com
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan email@example.com
- Zone 7, Jing Li firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 8, Irina Kaducova email@example.com
- Zone 9, Cheryl Hazeltine firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder email@example.com
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Margaret Powis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plant Sale - Michael Hall email@example.com
- TSBVI Liason & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Rental - Kay McMurry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry email@example.com
- Water Leak Repairs - Stewart Nichols firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter email@example.com
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert firstname.lastname@example.org
Record Service Hours Online - the Virtual Green Binder