Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
26 October 2017
If you are signed up to receive the Weekly Weeder and have not been receiving it, here is a troubleshooting page to help. If this doesn't help, please let Sharon at email@example.com know. Thanks.
Funds Available for Pollinator Gardens
The Native Plant Society of Texas has grants for pollinator gardens available through the Texas Urban Conservation Project, the U.S. Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service (USDA-NRCS). Here is a bit of text from the release:
"Funds are also available for community gardens. Addressing hunger with an urban garden can bring communities together and initiate other positive outcomes for people. Pollinator habitat planned with urban gardens can provide an increase in harvest potential while providing food and habitat for declining insect communities in Texas. Grants are available up to $4,000 for a community garden and $6500 for a seasonal high tunnel. Community gardens and seasonal high tunnel projects must be located in one of the following counties: Bexar, Brazos, Cameron, Dallas, El Paso, Galveston, Harris, Hidalgo, Jefferson, Lubbock, Maverick, McLennan, Nueces, Polk, Potter, Tarrant, Travis, Webb and Wichita to be eligible for funding."
- Oct 28 10-1 East Austin Community Garden Tour (Patterson Park, Homewood, St. Davids Foundation, Blackshear, New Day and Meuller)
- Dec 3 from 5:30 pm (NOTE DIFFERENT DAY) Save the Date for the Sunshine Gardens Annual Holiday Party! Contact Ila Falvey to help with this event.
Help with Central Market Compost Pick Up
Currently only Monday and Thursday mornings are covered for compost pickups from Central Market. If you are able to help, please contact Randy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Looking for a Big Project?
The Board is looking for someone (or two people) to manage the garden plots on either side of the stone path in front of the main trailer. Please contact Ila Falvey to coordinate.
Now is a great time to start passalongs for the plant sale. The weather is good and the plants will be well established by the sale. Parts of the large compost pile are well decomposed and can be used as medium and pots are in the Garden Port.
Please Remove Items Stored West of Tool Shed
The area west of the tool shed is not a storage area, please claim your tomato cages or they will be moved to the give away section.
Remember even small amounts of standing water give mosquitoes a place to breed.
Should you have any content to add to the Weeder, email your article or suggestion to email@example.com. On normal weeks content should be received by end of day Wednesday.
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Gardens
- President - Nick Sweeney firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice President - Marilyn Landberg email@example.com
- Secretary - Polly Porter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer - Caroline Limaye email@example.com
- Director - Bill Cason firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Lori Dobbin email@example.com
- Director - Randy Thompson firstname.lastname@example.org
Email the board.
- Zone 1, Martin Morales email@example.com
- Zone 2, Katy Davis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov email@example.com
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford email@example.com
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 7, Maria and Philip Wiley email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 8, Shannon Posern email@example.com
- Zone 9, Kerry Howell firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder
Karl Arcuri email@example.com
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Kristin Phillips firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plant Sale - Randy Thompson & Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- TSBVI Liaison & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Assignment - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Compost Coordinator - Janet Adams firstname.lastname@example.org
- Education Committee - Shannon Posern email@example.com
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Water Leak Repairs - Steve Schulz email@example.com
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kitchen Supplies - Anita Keese
(If supplies are needed for events, contact by email or at 512-773-2178)
- Compost Tea - Jennifer Woertz email@example.com
- Micah 6 - Dana Kuykendall firstname.lastname@example.org
- Micah 6 - Mary Gifford email@example.com
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spanish language contact - Andriana Prioleau email@example.com
Record Service Hours Online - Green Binder