Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
10 December 2014
Saturday December 13th, Work Day.
Get your volunteer hours in.
Meet at 9:oo am by the trailer.
TSBVI Volunteer Tasks
- Remove weeds in the paths of the TSBVI garden, not inside the raised beds. If you don't know where their garden is, please see your Zone Coordinator.
- Keep the fence cleared of weeds and trees. We want two vines that are growing there. One is Carolina snailseed, and it has the red berries now. The other is clematis. We had been removing that but will leave it for now. If y ou need help identifying that, let me know. I am happy to come out and meet people interested in getting their service hours done.
- Mow and edge on both sides of the fence that surrounds Sunshine all the way to the streets (49th and Sunshine).
- Pick up trash on both sides of the fence including rocks to avoid the mowers hitting them.
- Keep both bus stops we have adopted clean and litter free reporting any graffiti you may discover.
- Pick up trash in the compost area. Lots of pieces of plastic. Also rocks and sticks.
That's the list for now. Please rememeber that watering DOES NOT count as TSBVI service hours.
Check out the Extension Service web-site
There are several useful sheets to help vegetable gardeners in Travis County.
A vegetable planting calendar
High performing vegetable varieties
Vegetable seed sources
Gardening fact sheets
The website is: aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/travis
Thanks to everyone for the great party last Saturday, December 6th, those who planned it, executed it, and attended it. A good time was had by all.
Please Submit Articles for the Weeder Early
The Editor of this newletter will be away for the first half of January. The last date of publication in 2014 will be on the 24th of December. If you have anything you need published please get it into me by the 23rd December. I will resume putting the newletter out by the 21st of January.
Events of Interest
"Home Fruit Production"
Saturday, January 10, 10:00 am - 12:00 noon
Presented by Joe Posern, President of Travis County Master Gardeners Association
December Garden Notes.
Lettuce, Radish and Spinach can still be planted.
Protect some cool season vegetables during hard freezes, 28f and below, with row covers. Water well prior to the freeze.
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Garden
- President - Ila Falvey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice-President - Janet Adams email@example.com
- Secretary - Ginny Heilman firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer - Jack Reynolds email@example.com
- Director - Michael Hall firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Director - Linda Francescone firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 1, Jody Trendler email@example.com
- Zone 2, Katy Davis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov email@example.com
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford email@example.com
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 7, Jing Li email@example.com
- Zone 8, Irina Kaducova firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 9, Cheryl Hazeltine email@example.com
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Margaret Powis email@example.com
- Plant Sale - Michael Hall firstname.lastname@example.org
- TSBVI Liason & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Rental - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Water Leak Repairs - Stewart Nichols email@example.com
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert email@example.com
Record Service Hours Online - the Virtual Green Binder