Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
22 December 2016
If you are signed up to receive the Weekly Weeder and have not been receiving it, here is a troubleshooting page to help. If this doesn't help, please let Sharon at email@example.com know. Thanks.
Projects available - Last chance to get your Fall service hours in!
The deadline for completing and posting in the
Green Binder fall season service hours is Dec 31st!
Gardeners are billed for unworked required service hours (TSBVI - $50, Regular - $20 for first two, $10 for others).
Check the Green Binder on the Sunshine Gardens website for both their required hours and the number recorded.
Be sure and record any hours already worked.
- Purple Martin House cleaning - There is a small project to clean the Martin houses. Rather than pick a time during the holiday season, please email Randy at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work out a time. It will not take a lot of people,so respond quickly if you are interested.
- Hackberry Stump Removal - Dig out hackberries stumps below ground level along north fence line (49th St). The location of stumps is marked by a piece of string tied to fence. Removed stumps should be discarded in dumpster and not compost area.
- Weeding - Weed the granite path between Micah 6 and the greenhouse.
- Cleaning Trailer - vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, etc.
- Removing English Ivy - Remove from beds along walkway on west side of trailer.
- Passion Vine Cutting - Cut back the passion vine at the NW corner of the trailer so trellis can be rebuilt.
- Banana Tree Trimming - Cut down bananas trees by hoop house and put in compost pile. Please cut at ground level. The banana stalks are soft and can be cut with a serrated knife. There is a serrated knife in trailer. If used, please return to trailer. Cut into 6-9 inch pieces and put in the compost pile. NOTE: Bananas stain badly so old clothes are suggested.
- Rock Pickup - Pick up rocks along the fence (to prevent mowing hazard) and discard in the dumpster. This counts as TSBVI hours.
- Edging - Edge sidewalk and curb areas as needed. Edge around the water hydrant, telephone post, etc. This counts as TSBVI hours.
- TSBVI School Garden - The gravel paths needs to be weed free,
flat and compact so as not a trip hazard and easy to roll over for
blind students. Contact Janet Adams at
email@example.com about these
and other TSBVI volunteer tasks. Gravel path maintenance in the TSBVI
school garden counts as TSBVI hours.
- Weed any plants growing in the garden.
- Use flag side of a rake to grade pathways
- March on or stomp area to compact gravel
Volunteers needed to Water Herb Seedling - A few more needed
Please email Jen Woertz (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested in watering the herbs for the spring plant sale. We still have a few openings.
You will be assigned a day of the week to water. You will need to water once on that day each week until the plant sale in March. Currently the herbs are in the SCG greenhouse.
Some will be moved to the TSBVI greenhouse in January once they are transferred to larger pots. Currently, it takes about 10 minutes to water the herbs, but once they are in both greenhouses,it will take about 45 minutes to water. Please specify the days of the week you are available when you reply.
SCG Tree Mulching
Please remember to not pile mulch against the trunks of trees. It is unhealthy for the tree in several ways. The internet has numerous articles with proper techniques.
Featured Gardener Articles
If you are interested in being a featured gardener in the Weekly Weeder please fill out the survey.
Should you have any content to add to the Weeder email your articles or suggestions to email@example.com.
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Gardens
- President - Jeff Monks firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice President - Jim Willmann email@example.com
- Secretary - Polly Porter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer - Caroline Limaye email@example.com
- Director - Bill Cason firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Lori Dobbin email@example.com
- Director - Randy Thompson firstname.lastname@example.org
Email the board.
- Zone 1, Martin Morales email@example.com
- Zone 2, Katy Davis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov email@example.com
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford email@example.com
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 7, Maria and Philip Wiley email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 8, Shannon Posern email@example.com
- Zone 9, Kerry Howell firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder
Karl Arcuri email@example.com
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Polly Porter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plant Sale - Randy Thompson & Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- TSBVI Liaison & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Assignment - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Compost Coordinator - Janet Adams firstname.lastname@example.org
- Education Committee - Shannon Posern email@example.com
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Water Leak Repairs - Steve Schulz email@example.com
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kitchen Supplies - Anita Keese
(If supplies are needed for events, contact by email or at 512-773-2178)
- Compost Tea - Jennifer Woertz email@example.com
- Micah 6 - Dana Kuykendall firstname.lastname@example.org
- Micah 6 - Mary Gifford email@example.com
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert firstname.lastname@example.org
Record Service Hours Online - Green Binder