Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
22 December 2016
If you are signed up to receive the Weekly Weeder and have not been receiving it, here is a troubleshooting page to help. If this doesn't help, please let Sharon at firstname.lastname@example.org know. Thanks.
Projects available - Last chance to get your Fall service hours in!
The deadline for completing and posting in the
Green Binder fall season service hours is Dec 31st!
Gardeners are billed for unworked required service hours (TSBVI - $50, Regular - $20 for first two, $10 for others).
Check the Green Binder on the Sunshine Gardens website for both their required hours and the number recorded.
Be sure and record any hours already worked.
- Purple Martin House cleaning - There is a small project to clean the Martin houses. Rather than pick a time during the holiday season, please email Randy at email@example.com and we will work out a time. It will not take a lot of people,so respond quickly if you are interested.
- Hackberry Stump Removal - Dig out hackberries stumps below ground level along north fence line (49th St). The location of stumps is marked by a piece of string tied to fence. Removed stumps should be discarded in dumpster and not compost area.
- Weeding - Weed the granite path between Micah 6 and the greenhouse.
- Cleaning Trailer - vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, etc.
- Removing English Ivy - Remove from beds along walkway on west side of trailer.
- Passion Vine Cutting - Cut back the passion vine at the NW corner of the trailer so trellis can be rebuilt.
- Banana Tree Trimming - Cut down bananas trees by hoop house and put in compost pile. Please cut at ground level. The banana stalks are soft and can be cut with a serrated knife. There is a serrated knife in trailer. If used, please return to trailer. Cut into 6-9 inch pieces and put in the compost pile. NOTE: Bananas stain badly so old clothes are suggested.
- Rock Pickup - Pick up rocks along the fence (to prevent mowing hazard) and discard in the dumpster. This counts as TSBVI hours.
- Edging - Edge sidewalk and curb areas as needed. Edge around the water hydrant, telephone post, etc. This counts as TSBVI hours.
- TSBVI School Garden - The gravel paths needs to be weed free,
flat and compact so as not a trip hazard and easy to roll over for
blind students. Contact Janet Adams at
firstname.lastname@example.org about these
and other TSBVI volunteer tasks. Gravel path maintenance in the TSBVI
school garden counts as TSBVI hours.
- Weed any plants growing in the garden.
- Use flag side of a rake to grade pathways
- March on or stomp area to compact gravel
Volunteers needed to Water Herb Seedling - A few more needed
Please email Jen Woertz (email@example.com) if you are interested in watering the herbs for the spring plant sale. We still have a few openings.
You will be assigned a day of the week to water. You will need to water once on that day each week until the plant sale in March. Currently the herbs are in the SCG greenhouse.
Some will be moved to the TSBVI greenhouse in January once they are transferred to larger pots. Currently, it takes about 10 minutes to water the herbs, but once they are in both greenhouses,it will take about 45 minutes to water. Please specify the days of the week you are available when you reply.
SCG Tree Mulching
Please remember to not pile mulch against the trunks of trees. It is unhealthy for the tree in several ways. The internet has numerous articles with proper techniques.
Featured Gardener Articles
If you are interested in being a featured gardener in the Weekly Weeder please fill out the survey.
Should you have any content to add to the Weeder email your articles or suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Gardens
- President - Jeff Monks email@example.com
- Vice President - Jim Willmann firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary - Polly Porter email@example.com
- Treasurer - Caroline Limaye firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Bill Cason email@example.com
- Director - Lori Dobbin firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Randy Thompson email@example.com
Email the board.
- Zone 1, Martin Morales firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 2, Katy Davis email@example.com
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey email@example.com
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan email@example.com
- Zone 7, Maria and Philip Wiley firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Zone 8, Shannon Posern firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 9, Kerry Howell email@example.com
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder
Karl Arcuri firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Polly Porter email@example.com
- Plant Sale - Randy Thompson & Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- TSBVI Liaison & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Assignment - Kay McMurry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Compost Coordinator - Janet Adams email@example.com
- Education Committee - Shannon Posern firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry email@example.com
- Water Leak Repairs - Steve Schulz firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter email@example.com
- Kitchen Supplies - Anita Keese
(If supplies are needed for events, contact by email or at 512-773-2178)
- Compost Tea - Jennifer Woertz firstname.lastname@example.org
- Micah 6 - Dana Kuykendall email@example.com
- Micah 6 - Mary Gifford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert email@example.com
Record Service Hours Online - Green Binder