Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
26 October 2017
If you are signed up to receive the Weekly Weeder and have not been receiving it, here is a troubleshooting page to help. If this doesn't help, please let Sharon at firstname.lastname@example.org know. Thanks.
Funds Available for Pollinator Gardens
The Native Plant Society of Texas has grants for pollinator gardens available through the Texas Urban Conservation Project, the U.S. Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service (USDA-NRCS). Here is a bit of text from the release:
"Funds are also available for community gardens. Addressing hunger with an urban garden can bring communities together and initiate other positive outcomes for people. Pollinator habitat planned with urban gardens can provide an increase in harvest potential while providing food and habitat for declining insect communities in Texas. Grants are available up to $4,000 for a community garden and $6500 for a seasonal high tunnel. Community gardens and seasonal high tunnel projects must be located in one of the following counties: Bexar, Brazos, Cameron, Dallas, El Paso, Galveston, Harris, Hidalgo, Jefferson, Lubbock, Maverick, McLennan, Nueces, Polk, Potter, Tarrant, Travis, Webb and Wichita to be eligible for funding."
- Oct 28 10-1 East Austin Community Garden Tour (Patterson Park, Homewood, St. Davids Foundation, Blackshear, New Day and Meuller)
- Dec 3 from 5:30 pm (NOTE DIFFERENT DAY) Save the Date for the Sunshine Gardens Annual Holiday Party! Contact Ila Falvey to help with this event.
Help with Central Market Compost Pick Up
Currently only Monday and Thursday mornings are covered for compost pickups from Central Market. If you are able to help, please contact Randy at email@example.com.
Looking for a Big Project?
The Board is looking for someone (or two people) to manage the garden plots on either side of the stone path in front of the main trailer. Please contact Ila Falvey to coordinate.
Now is a great time to start passalongs for the plant sale. The weather is good and the plants will be well established by the sale. Parts of the large compost pile are well decomposed and can be used as medium and pots are in the Garden Port.
Please Remove Items Stored West of Tool Shed
The area west of the tool shed is not a storage area, please claim your tomato cages or they will be moved to the give away section.
Remember even small amounts of standing water give mosquitoes a place to breed.
Should you have any content to add to the Weeder, email your article or suggestion to firstname.lastname@example.org. On normal weeks content should be received by end of day Wednesday.
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Gardens
- President - Nick Sweeney email@example.com
- Vice President - Marilyn Landberg firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary - Polly Porter email@example.com
- Treasurer - Caroline Limaye firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Bill Cason email@example.com
- Director - Lori Dobbin firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Randy Thompson email@example.com
Email the board.
- Zone 1, Martin Morales firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 2, Katy Davis email@example.com
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey email@example.com
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan email@example.com
- Zone 7, Maria and Philip Wiley firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Zone 8, Shannon Posern firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 9, Kerry Howell email@example.com
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder
Karl Arcuri firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Kristin Phillips email@example.com
- Plant Sale - Randy Thompson & Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- TSBVI Liaison & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Assignment - Kay McMurry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Compost Coordinator - Janet Adams email@example.com
- Education Committee - Shannon Posern firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry email@example.com
- Water Leak Repairs - Steve Schulz firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter email@example.com
- Kitchen Supplies - Anita Keese
(If supplies are needed for events, contact by email or at 512-773-2178)
- Compost Tea - Jennifer Woertz firstname.lastname@example.org
- Micah 6 - Dana Kuykendall email@example.com
- Micah 6 - Mary Gifford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert email@example.com
- Spanish language contact - Andriana Prioleau firstname.lastname@example.org
Record Service Hours Online - Green Binder