Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
19 October 2017
If you are signed up to receive the Weekly Weeder and have not been receiving it, here is a troubleshooting page to help. If this doesn't help, please let Sharon at firstname.lastname@example.org know. Thanks.
Sunshine's Oldest Resident is Still a Teenager
This Bantam chicken, known as The Little Bant, has been living in the Sunshine Community Garden Chicken Coop for about 19 years -- almost as long as the coop has been around. While technically still a teenager, the Little Bant has retired from the egg-laying business and spends her time in her own home to the right of the main coop door. She looks forward to those visitors who arrive with melon!
- Oct 21 from 1:00 - 3:00 pm Sunshine Gardens Workday organized by with Zone 6 coordinator Charlotte Jernigan. Remember that work hours are due by the end of December!
- Oct 21 from 9 am - 5 pm Wildflower Center Plant Sale
- Oct 21 from 9 am - 4 pm Monarch Appreciation Day
- Oct 22 10-4:30 Fermentation Festival
- Oct 28 10-1 East Austin Community Garden Tour (Patterson Park, Homewood, St. Davids Foundation, Blackshear, New Day and Meuller)
- Oct. 29 12-3:30 Green Corn Fund Raiser
- Dec 9 Save the Date for the Sunshine Gardens Annual Holiday Party! Contact Ila Falvey to help with this event.
News: White Cane Day
Earlier this week, on Wednesday, The Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired hosted a celebration for White Cane Day with speakers including Bill Daugherty, superintendent of the school, Mayor Pro Tem Kathie Tovo and Texas Workforce Commission Executive Director Larry Temple. White Cane legislation guarantees civil rights protections and access to public facilities for blind individuals. The Texas White Cane law also ensures the rights of individuals traveling with a dog guide to have equal access to all public places.
News: Micah 6 is Spruced Up
A very big thank you to Jen and Jeff for the new Micah 6 sign!
Randy Thompson discovered tree limbs and branches in the compost. Here is a bit of information to help us all develop compost for the shared use of all gardeners.
- Absolutely NO khaki weed (please put this in trash dumpster).
- Please read the signs and follow their directions.
- Because different materials decompose at different rates, please add only what will decompose in our operation. That means no plastic, rocks, week control fabric, inorganic material, wood,tree saplings, branches or bamboo.
- Whole plants take much longer to break down than pieces. Use the loppers and cut into smaller pieces.
- Please return all tools/wheelbarrows/screens to the tool shed but leave the trash buckets in the compost area.
- When harvesting compost, please put trash in the trash buckets, put material that has not fully decomposed into the large pile next to the eastern fence, put rocks in the ruts in the roads or in the trash buckets, never in the grass. Mowers do not like rocks.
- Please do not create debris piles around the harvest pile. If it is not yet decomposed but will, it goes in the large pile by the fence.
Susan Hoberman recently lost 6 transplants because fire ants surrounded the roots and found this article worth sharing: Mother Nature News: How to Get Rid of Fire Ants.
Should you have any content to add to the Weeder, email your article or suggestion to email@example.com. On normal weeks content should be received by end of day Wednesday.
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Gardens
- President - Nick Sweeney firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice President - Marilyn Landberg email@example.com
- Secretary - Polly Porter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer - Caroline Limaye email@example.com
- Director - Bill Cason firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Lori Dobbin email@example.com
- Director - Randy Thompson firstname.lastname@example.org
Email the board.
- Zone 1, Martin Morales email@example.com
- Zone 2, Katy Davis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov email@example.com
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford email@example.com
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 7, Maria and Philip Wiley email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 8, Shannon Posern email@example.com
- Zone 9, Kerry Howell firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder
Karl Arcuri email@example.com
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Kristin Phillips firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plant Sale - Randy Thompson & Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- TSBVI Liaison & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Assignment - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Compost Coordinator - Janet Adams firstname.lastname@example.org
- Education Committee - Shannon Posern email@example.com
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Water Leak Repairs - Steve Schulz email@example.com
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kitchen Supplies - Anita Keese
(If supplies are needed for events, contact by email or at 512-773-2178)
- Compost Tea - Jennifer Woertz email@example.com
- Micah 6 - Dana Kuykendall firstname.lastname@example.org
- Micah 6 - Mary Gifford email@example.com
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spanish language contact - Andriana Prioleau email@example.com
Record Service Hours Online - Green Binder