Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
5 January 2017
If you are signed up to receive the Weekly Weeder and have not been receiving it, here is a troubleshooting page to help. If this doesn't help, please let Sharon at email@example.com know. Thanks.
Freeze Warning; Water May Be Turned Off
The National Weather Service is forecasting a low of 24 for Friday night and 26 for Saturday night. Gardeners should be prepared for the water to be turned off in the garden Friday afternoon through mid-day Sunday.
As a general rule of thumb, gardeners should anticipate water being turned off whenever temperatures are forecast to be below 30 for more than a few hours.
Board Adopts Guidelines Implementing Active Gardening Pilot
At the September All Gardeners meeting, Sunshine members directed the board "to pilot test requiring members to actively garden their plot(s) and a process for enforcing this requirement." The board has finalized the guidelines for implementing the pilot and will begin the pilot. The guidelines set out the process for identifying plots not being actively gardened and for how the board will enforce the active gardening requirement. Considerations in identifying inactively gardened plots will include:
- Plot(s) not being consistently planted, maintained, or timely harvested; and
- Consistently producing no more produce from plot(s) than would be expected from a smaller plot or fewer plots.
Once a plot is identified as not being actively gardened, the member will be required to sign an agreement detailing how the plot will be actively gardened. Failure to comply with the agreement will result in a sanction which could range from a warning to reduction in the size or number of plots assigned or termination of membership. Full guidelines.
SCG Notice Board
We now have a fully functioning notice board by the driveway.
You can write notes to other gardeners on the chalk board or post printed notices with a magnet.
Chalk is available in the trailer by the bookcase. Magnets will be available soon.
Many thanks to Jeff Monks.
Spring Garden Sale - Press Release for distribution
Please share this information with your neighborhood association and any other group you think will have an interest. Press Release
Front Gate Lock
If you open the front gate in the mornings please try and put the lock back in the small hole on the latch.
This makes it easier for the person locking the gate in the evenings.
Put Your Coop On The Map!
Apply for the 2017 Funky Chicken Coop Tour by January 24th!
Last year's tour was amazing! Are you ready to join us in 2017 to keep Austin FUNky with your very own backyard chicken coop, duck pen, or other poultry housing? Apply to show off your poultry habitat, fabulous or functional, for the 9th Annual Funky Chicken Coop Tour. Yes-- your coop is funky enough!! The deadline to submit is January 24th. Apply Now!
Looking for More Ways to Join the Fun?
Volunteers are central to a successful and super funky tour. Applications are now being accepted for the 2017 Funky Chicken Coop Tour. Apply here to volunteer!!
Featured Gardener Articles
If you are interested in being a featured gardener in the Weekly Weeder please fill out the survey.
Should you have any content to add to the Weeder email your articles or suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Gardens
- President - Jeff Monks email@example.com
- Vice President - Jim Willmann firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary - Polly Porter email@example.com
- Treasurer - Caroline Limaye firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Bill Cason email@example.com
- Director - Lori Dobbin firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Randy Thompson email@example.com
Email the board.
- Zone 1, Martin Morales firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 2, Katy Davis email@example.com
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey email@example.com
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan email@example.com
- Zone 7, Maria and Philip Wiley firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Zone 8, Shannon Posern firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 9, Kerry Howell email@example.com
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder
Karl Arcuri firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Polly Porter email@example.com
- Plant Sale - Randy Thompson & Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- TSBVI Liaison & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Assignment - Kay McMurry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Compost Coordinator - Janet Adams email@example.com
- Education Committee - Shannon Posern firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry email@example.com
- Water Leak Repairs - Steve Schulz firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter email@example.com
- Kitchen Supplies - Anita Keese
(If supplies are needed for events, contact by email or at 512-773-2178)
- Compost Tea - Jennifer Woertz firstname.lastname@example.org
- Micah 6 - Dana Kuykendall email@example.com
- Micah 6 - Mary Gifford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert email@example.com
Record Service Hours Online - Green Binder